Open Call April/May 2023
Safelight Paper invites emerging contemporary photographers to submit their work to be exhibited for a SOLO SHOW at Safelight Berlin, from April 29th to June 3rd, 2023.
This open call doesn't have a specific theme : all style and type of photography are welcome to participate. All photographers, regardless of age (must be at least 18+), nationality, and level of experience can send their projects. It is also open to worldwide submissions.
Single series is appreciated but a selection of diverse works, or single pictures, is also accepted. We publish what we call 'Slow Photography', which refers to a more mindful way of creation : we value the story and message more than the medium itself. Both analog and digital photography are accepted.
The exhibition would include 8 pictures with frames in 50x70cm and 70x100cm, but diverse sizes can be discussed individually.
The jury will be composed by Safelight Paper and Safelight Berlin team.
1st place : The most inspiring series will be exhibited at Safelight Berlin for a month.
The exhibition time will be split in two :
- First, a launch party on Saturday evening + Sunday at Safelight Berlin as a gallery space.
- Second, the place will go back to its original store setup with the pictures on the walls, opens 5 days/week, for the rest of the month.
It will also come with a full article on safelightpaper.com and shared on both Safelight Berlin/Safelight Paper instagram.
The 2nd and 3rd place will also be published online on safelightpaper.com and shared on both Safelight Berlin/Safelight Paper instagram.
SUBMISSION FEE :
A payment of 10€ is required to upload your project.
The money collected will help to cover the costs of the exhibition.
Any extra profit will be used for Safelight Paper's growth and to help cover the magazine's costs.
No extra printing costs will be required.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES :
Please follow these guidelines carefully. Any incomplete application won't be considered.
1) submit your application by placing an order : OPEN CALL April/May 2023
You will receive an order number to be mentioned when uploading the pictures.
2) use this link to upload your pictures : WETRANSFER
3) upload between 8 and 15 pictures, JPEG, 10MB max.
The winner will be asked to send his pictures in higher resolutions, 3000px minimum on the short side.
4) filled wetransfer information as :
- Title : "last name_order number"
- Message : a text describing your project, or several projects, the message/meaning and context of it.
SELLING THE PRINTS :
The prints can be sold during the duration of the exhibition. The prices will be discussed with the photographer.
In case of sale, Safelight Berlin will directly collect the sum from the buyer, holding 30% of the sale price (including the printing costs). The works cannot be delivered to the purchaser until the closing of the event.
At the end of the event, the remaining prints will be handed back to the photographer.
- Deadline to submit your project is April 1st, 2023, 6pm
- The winners will be informed by email until April 7th, 2023
- Saturday, April 29th, 2023 : launch party from 6pm to 10pm
- Sunday, April 30th, 2023 : exhibition open to public as a gallery setup.
- from May 2nd to June 3rd, 2023 : exhibition open to public as a store setup (Safelight Berlin)
We will also do our best to send every participant a custom email with our feedbacks on their projects and why it wasn't selected.
Photographers retain full rights to their own images. Photographers whose submission is selected grant Safelight Berlin the nonexclusive right to use, print, and reproduce their images for the purpose of promoting the exhibition and future open calls. Image credits will be provided with any use.
If you have any questions on the submission procedure, please write us: firstname.lastname@example.org (object : opencall)